Wednesday 16 March 2011

Autonomy, Mastery, Purpose

I'm a knitter, well a maker really, that's one of my motivations to write about DIY and craft communities, because not only does it interest me but it is part of my life. I remember when I first started knitting some body asked me if my stuff was "good enough to sell", it wasn't but that question shocked me as that wasn't the reason why I did it.
I did it for lots of reasons - something to distract me when I gave up smoking, to make something that I liked and to make me feel that I was actually doing something worthwhile. The monetary value never even entered my mind and it still doesn't to be honest, sometimes it's the creation process that's important and not the finished product. I was sent this clip by someone a few months ago and coincidentally has turned up in the Research Methods lessons too. I find it very inspiring and has had a massive influence on my thesis and my craft too

No comments:

Post a Comment