Wednesday 18 May 2011

Getting ready for conferences

I've started getting ready for the two conferences that I have over the next couple of months, I'm currently focusing on the Salford Postgraduate Annual Research Conference (SPARC) that I have been accepted to present at as it is only a few weeks away. Although I am looking forward to it on one hand, I am equally terrified on the other, it's always difficult presenting your research to others as you do invest certain degree of yourself in to your work (well I do anyway) and if people are negative about it, even when talking about it everyday then it can knock you down.

I have to remember though that these conferences are generally fairly supportive and any problems that people may find with my research is actually a good thing, as it gives me the opportunity to clean up problems and improve it so next time it can be bullet proof. So I am going to try and welcome all kinds of feedback, hopefully if I get any criticism it will be constructive. I have also noticed that you really do have to go into these things with the right attitude, you need to be humble, open minded and willing to listen, people will always help you if you're willing to learn and being arrogant only works against you.

There seems to be a really good network of people there who I am genuinely looking forward to meeting, I've also discovered that they have a blog to represent the postgraduate researchers at Salford Uni, with really good advice and resources, here's a small article that a read today that I found useful and inspiring:
How to get the most from your PhD studies 
I will keep you posted how I get on, wish me luck 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate,
    you will be fine.
    The conference is supposed to be a friendly environment where people get to know w a lit bit about what they are doing and bounce ideas of each other. I am really looking forward to your presentation.
    I also think you are absolutely right about taking this experience with the "right attitude".
    Above all try to enjoy it. it is a good opportunity for networking ;-)

    ReplyDelete