Monday 2 May 2011

Meeting Prof David Gauntlett at the Lego Conference

About a month ago I contacted the author David Gauntlett, as I noticed he was doing a talk in Manchester about his book 'Making is Connecting'. I really wanted to hear him talk about his work but I wouldn't have been able to go as it was at the Adult Fans of Lego Conference (AFOLCON) and I couldn't afford it. So I sent him an email saying that I wasn't going to be there despite enjoying his book and the similarities it has with my research. David was really nice, we chatted about my research via email and then he offered me the opportunity to come to the conference as his guest, which was a really exciting opportunity and such a nice thing to do.

The conference was on Friday (29th April) at the Museum of Science and Industry and I can honestly say that I had a great day. There were loads of interesting people there, it was great to meet David and it was so nice of him to get me in.

I really enjoyed the book 'Making is Connecting', despite it being so full of information it is a surprisingly easy read and I highly recommend it. David's presentation was one of the most entertaining of the day, he let me record his talk and I will be transcribing some of the more relevant points to quote and to be used in my literature review. His presentation managed to chat about some of themes within the book whilst keeping it accessible to the niche audience. I also managed to take a few pictures:




Professor Gauntlett was very affable, helpful and approachable. He very kindly gave me this lego storm trooper with speeder (see below), which I built last night.
I would like to think that not only have I made a very cool contact but I would also like to think that I have made a new friend and hope that we keep in contact. Thanks so much for an excellent day.

No comments:

Post a Comment